Who are we?
Technology Robotix Society is an official society under the Technology Students' Gymkhana, IIT Kharagpur, and is a focal point for activities and projects related to robotics in the campus. With its reach expanding steadily each year, it has also cemented its position as one of the nerve centres of amateur robotics in India.
What do we do?
We are involved in various initiatives in the field of robotics throughout the year. Our flagship accomplishment is our annual competition ROBOTIX, which is held during KSHITIJ at IIT Kharagpur and is one of the biggest such events in Asia. Every year we have increasingly capable and motivated participants tackling our novel problem statements and thereby inspiring us to organize each year's fest with renewed zeal. Another important agenda of ours is to spread the culture of robotics across India and we do this by organizing and conducting workshops and demonstrations, and in Kharagpur, besides this, by other in-house events too.
Problem Statement: To build a manually controlled robot that can lift itself up vertically, initiate and continue translation on an elevated surface and also pick and place objects.
- Each robot can have a maximum dimension of 30 x 30 x 40 cubic cm (L x B x H) respectively in its most concise form, with an allowance of an extra 5%.
- No part/mechanism of/on the robot should exceed the given dimensions before the commencement of the event run. The robots can exceed their respective dimensions once the event commences. However, Team ROBOTIX gets the final say in deciding whether the advantage is fair or not.
- There is no weight restriction on the robot.
- LEGO kits or its spare parts or pre-made mechanical parts are not allowed.
- Ready-made gearboxes, sensors, development boards can be used but no other part of the robot should contain any ready-made components. Simple car bases with no extra features may be used.
- The bots should not damage the event arena in any way. If it does so, a penalty will be imposed on the team. The magnitude of the penalty will be decided by Team ROBOTIX.
Arena and Locomotion:
- The robot has to start from the start point (green colored area), which will be marked in the arena.
- The robot has to go and complete the tasks as specified. Any discrepancies will be handled by Team ROBOTIX and their decision will be final and binding.
- Time will be kept by Team ROBOTIX and their decision will be final and binding.
Initial Orientation of Robot:
- The participant is allowed to decide the initial orientation of his robot in the start zone.
- Team ROBOTIX reserves the right to disallow any initial orientation of the robot inside the starting zone if it gives the participant an undue advantage, solely based on the judge’s discretion.
Restarts and Timeouts:
- A maximum of 2 Timeouts of 1 minute each may be taken in each round. A penalty will be awarded for each timeout and robot will start from its last position on the arena.
- The participant’s robots can have a maximum of 1 restart per round. A penalty will be imposed on the team for every restart that they take.
- After the restart, the participant’s robot will be set to its initial position. The timer will be set to zero and the run will start afresh with the addition of the penalty for restart.
- A timeout can be taken anytime at the participant’s discretion.
- A restart can only be taken if there is a genuine technical fault in the robot. Team ROBOTIX may refuse a restart if the reason is not genuine enough, and their decision will be binding and final